My research interest is in fetal cardiovascular fluid mechanics, and medical ultrasound technology, and biofluid medical devices. I test the hypothesis that mechanical forces in the prenatal cardiovascular system plays a role in normal fetal cardiovascular development, and plays a role in causing congenital cardiovascular malformations. I am also interested in developing novel blood pumps, and novel ultrasound technique for diagnosis and treatment of congenital malformations and adult heart valve diseases.
Selected Awards & Honours
- Yamaguchi Award, Asia-Pacific Conference on Biomechanics, Sapporo, 2015
- NUS Young Investigator Award, 2015
- The CHIH Foundation Award, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2011
- AHA Predoctoral Fellowship Award, 2010
- Gandy-Diaz Teaching Fellowship Award, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2010
- 3rd Prize, Student Paper Competition, ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, 2009
- The Moles Award, Cornell University, 2000
- Yap CH, Wei Q, Thiele K, Yoganathan AP. "Analysis of Mitral Regurgitation from Slit Orifice by Ultrasonic Imaging." US Patent Application 13/991,551, filed December 15, 2011
- Yap CH, Wei Q, Thiele, K, Yoganathan AP. "Automated Identification of the Location of a Regurgitant Orifice of a Mitral Valve in an Ultrasound Image." US Patent Application 13/990,247, filed December 16, 2011
- Yap CH, Wei Q, Thiele K, Yoganathan AP. "Analysis of Mitral Regurgitation by Ultrasonic Imaging." US Patent Application 13/994,794, filed December 16, 2011
- Yap CH, Kim K. “Methods and Apparatus to Measure Constitutive Relations and Fiber Orientation of Soft Tissue.” PCT Patent Application #WO 2014/138423
- Yoganathan AP, Yap CH. “Fluid Dynamics of Prosthetic Valves”, in Practice of Clinical Echocardiography, 4th edition, 2012, Otto C.M. (Ed), Saunders Elsevier.
- Yap CH, Spinner EM, Padala SM, Yoganathan AP. “Heart Valve Dynamics”, in Biomedical Engineering Handbook, 4th Edition, 2013, Bronzino J.D. and Peterson D.R. (Eds.)., CRC Press.
Selected Journal Publications
- Tan GXY, Jamil M, Tee NGZ, Zhong L, Yap CH. “3D Reconstruction of Chick Embryo Vascular Geometry Using Non-Invasive High-Frequency Ultrasound for Computational Fluid Dynamics.” Ann Biomed Engr (epub June 2015)
- Yap CH, Park D, Dutta D, Simon M, Kim K. “Methods for Using 3D Ultrasound Speckle Tracking in Biaxial Mechanical Testing of Biological Tissue Samples.” Ultrasound in medicine & biology, 2015, 41 (4), 1029-1042
- Yap CH, Liu X, Pekkan K. “Characterization of the Vessel Geometry, Flow Mechanics and Wall Shear Stresses in the Great Arteries of Wildtype Prenatal Mouse.” Plos One, 2014, 27;9(1):e86878
- Yap CH, Thiele K, Wei Q, Santhanakrishnan A, Khiabani R, Cardinale M, Salgo I, Yoganathan AP. “Novel Method of Measuring Valvular Regurgitation Using Three-Dimensional Non-Linear Curve Fitting of Doppler Signals Within the Flow Convergence Zone.” IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control. 2013 Apr; 60(7):1295-1311.
- Saikrishnan N, Yap CH, Stamatios L, Kimar G, Yoganathan AP. “Revisiting the Gorlinequation for aortic stenosis – is it correctly used in clinical practice?” Int J Cardiol. 2013 Oct 3;168(3):2881-3
- Yap CH, Saikrishnan N, Tamilselvan G, Vasilyev N, Yoganathan AP. “The Congenital Bicuspid Aortic Valve Can Experience High Frequency Unsteady Shear Stresses on Its Leaflet Surface”, Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012 Sept;303(6):H721-H731.
- Saikrishnan N, Yap CH, Milligan NC, Vasilyev NV, Yoganathan AP. “In Vitro Characterization of Bicuspid Aortic Valve Hemodynamics Using Particle Image Velocimetry.” Ann Biomed Eng. 2012 Aug;40(8):1760-75
- Balachandran K, Hussain S, Yap CH, Padala M, Chester AH, Yoganathan AP. “Elevated Cyclic Stretch and Serotonin Result in Altered Aortic Valve Remodeling via aMechanosensitive 5-HT(2A) Receptor-Dependent Pathway.” Cardiovasc Pathol. 2012 May-Jun;21(3):206-13
- Thayer P, Balachandran K, Rathan S, Arjunon S, Yap CH, Jo H, Yoganathan AP. The Effect of Combined Cyclic Stretch and Pressure on the Aortic Valve Interstitial Cell Phenotype.Ann Biomed Eng. 2011 June; 39(6):1654-67.
- Weiler M, Yap CH, Balachandran K, Padala M, Yoganathan AP. “Regional Variation of Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Native Aortic Valve Leaflets.” J Biomech. 2011 May 17; 44(8):1459-65.
- Spinner EM, Buice D, Yap CH, Yoganathan AP. “The Effects of a Three-Dimensional, Saddle-Shaped Annulus on Anterior and Posterior Leaflet Stretch and Regurgitation of the Tricuspid Valve. Ann Biomed Eng. 2012 May;40(5):996-1005.
- Yap CH, Tamiselvan G, Saikrishnan N, Yoganathan AP. “Experimental Measurement of Dynamic Fluid Shear Stress on the Aortic Surface of the Aortic Valve Leaflet.” BiomechModel Mechanobiol. 2012 Jan;11(1-2)171-82.
- Yap CH, Saikrishnan N, Yoganathan AP. “Experimental Measurement of Dynamic Fluid Shear Stress on the Ventricular Surface of the Aortic Valve Leaflet.” Biomech ModelMechanobiol. 2012 Jan;11(1-2):231-44.
- Yap CH, Tamiselvan G, Saikrishnan N, Yoganathan AP. “Experimental Technique of Measuring Dynamic Fluid Shear Stress on the Aortic Surface of the Aortic Valve Leaflet.” JBiomech Eng. 2011 Jun; 133(6):061007
- Yap CH, Kim HS, Balachandran K, Weiler M, Haj-Ali R, Yoganathan A.P. “Dynamic Deformation Characteristics of Porcine Aortic Valve Leaflets under Normal and Hypertensive Conditions”, Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010 Feb;298(2):H395-405.
- Yap CH, Dasi LP, Yoganathan AP. “Dynamic Hemodynamic Energy Loss in Normal andStenosed Aortic Valves”, J Biomech Eng. 2010 Feb;132(2):021005