Selected Awards & Honours (out of over 60)
- Winner, Modern Aging Singapore 2016
- ASEAN Outstanding Engineering Achievement Award 2016
- 14 Inspiring Innovators From Asia, Asian Scientist, 2016
- Elected Fellow, International Academy of Medical and Biological Engineering
- IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award 2016
- JT Award, TechPlanter Singapore, 2016
- Seven Singaporean Scientists to Watch, Asian Scientist, 2016
- Asian Scientist Top 100 List 2016
- Elected Fellow, American Institute for Medical & Biological Engineering
- Elected Fellow, Academy of Engineering, Singapore
- Vladimir K. Zworykin Award, International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering 2015
- Provost's Chair Professorship, 2014 – present
- Outstanding Researcher Award, NUS University Awards 2014
- Outstanding Innovator Award, NUS Innovation & Enterprise Awards 2014
- TIE50 Award, TIEcon 2014
- Credit Suisse Technopreneur of the Year Award 2012
- Wall Street Journal Asian Innovation Audience Choice Awards 2012
- Gold, Wall Street Journal Asian Innovation Awards 2012
- TechVenture Most Disruptive Technology Award 2012
- First Prize, Asian Entrepreneurship Award 2012
- InnovFest Promising Start-Up Award 2012
- HFSP Collaborative Research Grant Award 2012
- NGS Excellent Mentoring Award 2011/2012.
- Rising Star Innovator Award, TechVenture 2011
- President's Technology Award 2011
- Faculty Research Award 2011
- Elected Council Member, World Council of Biomechanics 2010 - present
- Most Cited Article, Acta Biomaterialia, 2006 - 2010
- IES Prestigious Engineering Achievement Award 2010
- Most Cited Author 2005-2008, Acta Biomaterialia
- Cited in MIT Technology Review: 10 Emerging Technologies and their impact, 2006
- MRS Outstanding Paper Award, MRS Fall Meeting 2004
Refer to my website for more details: http://www.bioeng.nus.edu.sg/nanolab/newsmakers.html
Membership in Scientific/Professional Organization
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Biomechanical Science and Engineering
Editorial Board Member, Microsystems & Nanoengineering (Nature Publishing Group)
Editorial Board Member, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology
Editorial Board Member, Extreme Mechanics Letters
Associate Editor, Cellular & Molecular Bioengineering
Associate Editor, Molecular & Cellular Biomechanics
Editorial Advisory Board Member, Biomicrofluidics
Editorial Board Member, BioNanoScience
Associate Editor, International Journal of Nanoscience
Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Biomaterials
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Biorheology
Editorial Board Member, Journal of Nanobiotechnology
Editorial Board Member, Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing
Editorial Board Member, Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters
International Advisory Board, Experimental Mechanics
Executive Member, Biomedical Engineering Society, Singapore
Executive Committee Member, Global Enterprise on Micro Mechanics & Molecular Medicine (GEM4)
Member, Institute of Engineers, Singapore
Life Member, World Association for Chinese Biomedical Engineers
Selected Journal Publications
- Warkiani, M E, et al, Ultra-fast, label-free isolation of circulating tumor cells from blood using spiral microfluidics, Nature Protocols, 14, 1, 128-37, 2016.
- Khoo, B L et al, Liquid biopsy and therapeutic response: Circulating tumor cell cultures for evaluation of anticancer treatment. Science Advances, 2, 7, e1600274, 2016.
- Yeo, J C et al, Flexible and stretchable strain sensing actuator for wearable soft robotics application, Advanced Materials Technologies, 1, 3, 2016.
- Yeo, T et al, Microfluidic enrichment for the single cell analysis of circulating tumor cells, Scientific Reports, 6, 22076, 2016.
- Wang, J et al, Haem-activated promiscuous targeting of artemisinin in Plasmodium falciparum, Nature Communications, 6, 10111, 2015.
- Gupta, M et al, Adaptive rheology and ordering of cell cytoskeleton govern matrix rigidity sensing, Nature Communications, 6, 7525, 2015.
- Vedula, S R K et al, Mechanics of epithelial closure over non-adherent environments, Nature Communications, 6, 6111, 2015.
- Lee, W C et al, Multivariate biophysical markers predictive of mesenchymal stromal cell multi potency, PNAS, 111(42):E4409-18, 2014.
- Yao, M et al, Force-dependent conformational switch of a-catenin controls vinculin binding, Nature Communications, 5, 4525, 2014.
- Lim, C T, S B Hoon, Circulating tumor cells: Cancer's deadly couriers, Physics Today, 67, 2, 26-30, 2014.
- Vedula, S R K et al, Epithelial bridges maintain tissue integrity during collective cell migration, Nature Materials, 13, 87-96, 2014.
- Hou H W et al, Isolation and retrieval of circulating tumor cells using centrifugal forces, Scientific Reports, 3, 1259, 2013.
- Thiery, J P, C T Lim, Tumor dissemination: An EMT affair, Cancer Cell, 23, 3, 272-273, 2013.
- Wang, Y T et al, Nanomechanics insights into the performance of healthy and osteoporotic bones, Nano Letters, 13, 11, 5247-5254, 2013.
- Vedula, S R K et al, Emerging modes of collective cell migration induced by geometrical constraints, PNAS, 109, 32, 12974-12979, 2012. (F1000 recommended as being of special significance)
- Wang, Y et al, Fluorinated Graphene for Promoting Neuro-Induction of Stem Cells, Advanced Materials, 31, 4285-4290, 2012. (selected for frontispiece)
- Lee, W C et al, The origin of enhanced stem cell growth and differentiation on graphene and graphene oxide, ACS Nano, 5, 9, 7334-7341, 2011.