CHONG Yok Rue, Desmond
2006 – 2009: PhD in Biomechanics, Imperial College London, Uk
1998 – 2000: M.Eng, Mechanical Engineering,
1994 – 1998: B.Eng, Mechanical Engineering,
2010 – Present: Lecturer, Department of Bioengineering, NUS
2002- 2006: R&D Manager, United Test & Assembly Center Ltd (UTAC), Singapore
2000 – 2002: R&D Engineer, Motorola Electronics Pte Ltd, Singapore
Primary Appointment: Lecturer, Engineering Design and Innovation Centre (EDIC), Faculty of Engineering
: Lecturer, Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Faculty of Engineering
Tel: +(65) 6601 1550
1. Orthopaedic and Musculoskeletal Biomechanics
2. Bone Mechanics
3. Orthopaedic Implant Design
4. Computational and Experimental Mechanics
Membership to Scientific/Professional Organization
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Exco Member – ASME Singapore Section
1. D.Y.R. Chong, U.N. Hansen, A.A. Amis, “Analysis of Bone-Prosthesis Interface Micromotion for Cementless Tibial Prosthesis Fixation and the Influence of Loading Conditions”, Journal of Biomechanics, 2010, Vol. 43, pp 1074-1080, 2010.
2. D.Y.R. Chong, U.N. Hansen, A.A. Amis, “The Influence of Tibial Prosthesis Design Features on Stresses Related to Aseptic Loosening and Stress-Shielding”, Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology, 2010. (available online August 2010 / DOI No: 10.1142/S0219519410003666)
3. D.Y.R. Chong, U.N. Hansen, R. van der Venne, N. Verdonschot, A.A. Amis, “The Influence of Tibial Component Fixation Techniques on Resorption of Supporting Bone Stock after Total Knee Replacement”, Journal of Biomechanics, 2011. (available online January 2011)
4. D.Y.R. Chong, A.A. Amis, U.N. Hansen, “Is Fixation Performance of MIS Mini-keel Tibial Prosthesis Mechanically Comparable to Standard Stemmed Prosthesis? A Finite Element Modelling Study”, 54th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, San Francisco, USA, 2-5 March 2008.
5. D.Y.R. Chong, U.N. Hansen, S.J. Yeo, S.Y. Poh, S.W.Y. Cai, N.N. Lo, A.A. Amis, “Bone Remodelling Predictions in the Proximal Tibia after Implantation of the MIS Mini-Keel Tibial Prostheses”, 55th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, Nevada, USA, 22-25 February 2009.
6. D.Y.R. Chong, U.N. Hansen, A.A. Amis, “Computational Biomechanics Analysis of Fixation Performance and Bone Resorption of Tibial Prosthesis Implantation”, ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference 2009, CA, USA, 17-21 June 2009.